DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20185368

Prevalence of hepatitis A virus in patients attending a referral hospital in Bubanza Province, Northwest Burundi

Rémy Harabandi, Eddy O. Odari, Raphael W. Lihana

Abstract


Background: Viral hepatitis is a public health problem wide world. Hepatitis A, transmitted by fecal-oral route, is an infectious viral disease caused by hepatitis A virus and mainly due to poor sanitation. This study aimed to determine the prevalence of hepatitis A virus and associated factors in patients attending Mpanda referral hospital in Northwest Burundi.

Methods: A cross-sectional study was done from November 2017 to January 2018 on 385 participants aged 2 years and above. Participants were recruited using a systematic random sampling technique. Data were collected using questionnaire from consented/assented participants. Five millilitres of venous blood was collected and analyzed. Anti-hepatitis A virus antibodies were screened using Enzyme Immuno Assay. Data were analyzed using Statistical Package for the Social Sciences version 16.0 software. A descriptive analysis was followed by bivariate analysis using a Chi-square test for comparison of various sub-groups with 5% statistical significance level. Odds ratio and 95% Confidence Intervals were calculated and presented.

Results: The median age of the participants was 23 years and the range 72 years. The overall prevalence of Hepatitis A virus was 60.3%. There was a significant association between age [OR=7.22 (4.04-12.93), P <0.001], lack of clean water [OR=10.07 (5.63-18.01), P <0.001], traditional latrines [OR=1.86 (1.02-3.40), P=0.04] and Hepatitis A Virus seroprevalence.

Conclusions: Present study shows high prevalence of HAV infection in patients attending Mpanda Referral Hospital. Younger age, lack of clean water and traditional latrines play roles in increasing prevalence of HAV infection in both rural and urban areas.


Keywords


Burundi, Hepatitis A virus, Prevalence

Full Text:

PDF

References


Okara GC, Hassan S, Obeagu EI. Hepatitis A virus infection among apparently healthy Nigerian Subjects. J Biomed Sc. 2017;06(2):1-3.

Keystone JS, Hershey JH. The underestimated risk of hepatitis A and hepatitis B: benefits of an accelerated vaccination schedule. Int J Infect Dis. 2008 Jan 1;12(1):3-11.

Desbois D, Couturier E, Mackiewicz V, Graube A, Letort MJ, Dussaix E, et al. Epidemiology and genetic characterization of hepatitis A virus genotype IIA. J Clin Microbiol. 2010 Sep 1;48(9):3306-15.

Kanyenda TJ, Abdullahi LH, Hussey GD, Kagina BM. Epidemiology of hepatitis A virus in Africa among persons aged 1-10 years: a systematic review protocol. Systematic Reviews. 2015 Dec;4(1):129.

El-dougdoug KA, Nasr-Eldin MA, Esawy HS, Amer MM, Abd Elrhiem M. Monitoring of foodborne hepatitis A virus outbreaks in the Fresh foods. Egyptian J Botany. 2017:73-83.

Afegbua SL, Bugaje MA, Ahmad AA. Seroprevalence of hepatitis A virus infection among schoolchildren and adolescents in Kaduna, Nigeria. Transactions Royal Soc Trop Med Hygiene. 2013 Aug 19;107(10):627-30.

Wasunna A, Murila F, Obimbo MM, Rama MJ, Musembi H. Hepatitis A antibody seroprevalence in a selected Kenyan pediatric population. Open J Pediatri. 2016 Nov 2;6(04):316-23.

Su CW, Wu JC, Huang YS, Huo TI, Huang YH, Lin CC, et al. Comparison of clinical manifestations and epidemiology between acute hepatitis A and acute hepatitis E in Taiwan. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2002;17(11):1187-91.

Jacobsen K. The global prevalence of hepatitis A virus infection and susceptibility: a systematic review. 2016, Geneva: WHO. Available at: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/70180/WHO_IVB_10.01_eng.pdf?sequence=1.

Burundi Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies (BISES). Distribution of the resident population by province and municipality according to the environment of residence in Burundi. Available at: http://isteebu.bi/nada/index.php/catalog/3/datafile/F4.

Burundi Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies (BISES). Report of the survey on household living conditions. 2014. Available at: http://isteebu.bi/index.php/publications/rapports-d-enquetes.

Geographic Institute of Burundi (GIBU). Burundi Administrative boundaries. Available at: https://reliefweb.int/report/burundi/burundi-environmental-causes-behind-food-shortages-northwest.

Weis S, Rettinger A, Bergmann M, Llewellyn JR, Pantchev N, Straubinger RK, et al. Detection of Leptospira DNA in urine and presence of specific antibodies in outdoor cats in Germany. J Feline Med Surg. 2017 Apr;19(4):470-6.

Ibrahim A. Hepatitis A Virus Infection among Primary School Pupils in Potiskum, Yobe State, Nigeria. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci. 2015;4(4):948-54.

Yun H, Lee HJ, Cheon D, Chu C, Oh KW, Kim YT, et al. Seroprevalence of hepatitis A and E viruses based on the third Korea National Health and Nutrition survey in Korea. Osong Public Health Res Perspectives. 2011;2(1):46-50.

Neffatti H, Lebraud P, Hottelet C, Gharbi J, Challouf T, Roque-Afonso AM. Southern Tunisia: A still high endemicity area for hepatitis A. PloS One. 2017 Apr 20;12(4):e0175887.

Muchiri I, Okoth FA, Ngaira J, Tuei S. Seroprevalence OF HAV, HBV, HCV, AND HEV among acute hepatitis patients at kenyatta national hospital in Nairobi, Kenya. East African Med J. 2012;89(6):199-205.

Koroglu M, Jacobsen KH, Demiray T, Ozbek A, Erkorkmaz U, Altindis M. Socioeconomic indicators are strong predictors of hepatitis A seroprevalence rates in the Middle East and North Africa. J Infect Public Health. 2017 Sep 1;10(5):513-7.

Lazcano-Ponce E, Conde-Gonzalez C, Rojas R, DeAntonio R, Romano-Mazzotti L, Cervantes Y, et al. Seroprevalence of hepatitis A virus in a cross-sectional study in Mexico: Implications for hepatitis A vaccination. Human Vaccines Immunotherapeuti. 2013 Feb 1;9(2):375-81.

Mostafavi N, Kelishadi R, Kazemi E, Ataei B, Yaran M, Motlagh ME et al. Comparison of the Prevalence and Risk Factors of Hepatitis A in 10 to 18-Year-Old Adolescents of Sixteen Iranian Provinces: The CASPIAN-III Study. Hepatitis Monthly. 2013;16(9):e36437.

Melhem NM, Talhouk R, Rachidi H, Ramia S. Hepatitis A virus in the Middle East and North Africa region: a new challenge. J Viral Hepatitis. 2014 Sep;21(9):605-15.

Jacobsen KH, Koopman JS. Declining hepatitis A seroprevalence: a global review and analysis. Epidemiology Infection. 2004 Dec;132(6):1005-22.

El-Gilany AH, Hammad S, Refaat K, Al-Enazi R. Seroprevalence of hepatitis A antibodies among children in a Saudi community. Asian Pacific J Trop Med. 2010 Apr 1;3(4):278-82.

Demiray T, Köroğlu M, Jacobsen KH, Özbek A, Terzi HA, Altındiş M. Hepatitis A virus epidemiology in Turkey as universal childhood vaccination begins: seroprevalence and endemicity by region. Turkish J Pediatr. 2016 Sep 1;58(5):480-91.

Miri SM, Alavian SM. Epidemiology of Hepatitis A Virus Infections in Syria, 2017; War and Asylum Seekers: A Global Threat. Iranian Red Crescent Med J. 2017;19(11):e63622.

Lee KO, Jeong SJ, Seong HS, Kim KT, Hwang YS, Kim GY, et al. Genetic analysis of hepatitis A virus isolated from Korea. J Bacteriol Virol. 2009 Sep 1;39(3):165-71.