DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20211338

The association between medication adherence and blood pressure control among hypertensive patients attending a tertiary hospital in south-south Nigeria

Lillian N. Ozumba, Geraldine U. Ndukwu

Abstract


Background: Hypertension is a common disease among adults. It is a global health condition that requires drugs and lifestyle changes for its management and control. Despite this, the rate of hypertension related deaths has been increasing in prevalence across the world. The purpose of this paper is to determine the association between medication adherence and blood pressure control among hypertensive patients in Family Medicine Clinic, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Rivers State, Nigeria.

Methods: A hospital based cross-sectional study was conducted in Family Medicine Clinic, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital. Systematic sampling method was used to select 400 participants. A structured questionnaire namely Morisky Medication Adherence Scale-4 was adapted and used for data collection in this study. Bivariate analysis was done using Chi square test and odd ratio.

Results: A total of 400 (118 males and 282 females) adult hypertensive patients participated in this study. Majority of the participants had poor adherence to medication treatment 71.2% (n=285), whereas the remaining ones 28.8% (n=115) had good adherence. Similarly, most of the participants, 77.2% (n=309) had poor blood pressure control while the remainder 22.8% (n=91) experienced the opposite. The bivariate analysis showed that good medication adherence was significantly associated with good blood pressure control.

Conclusions: Medication adherence was low especially among those with poor blood pressure control. This link was statistically significant therefore doctor-patient interaction with emphasis on medication adherence is advocated.

 


Keywords


Blood pressure control, Hypertension, Medication adherence

Full Text:

PDF

References


Bromfield SG, Bowling CB, Tanner RM, Peralta CA, Odden MC, Oparil S, et al. Trends in hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control among US adults 80 years and older, 1988-2010. J Clin Hypertens. 2014;16(4):270-6.

Ogah OS, Okpechi I, Chukwuonye II, Akinyemi JO, Onwubere BJ, Falase AO, et al. Blood pressure, prevalence of hypertension and hypertension related complications in Nigerian Africans: a review. World J Cardiol. 2012;4(12):327.

Ibekwe R. Modifiable risk factors of hypertension and socio demographic profile in Oghara, Delta state; prevalence and correlates. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2015;5:71-7.

Mills KT, Bundy JD, Kelly TN, Reed JE, Kearney PM, Reynolds K, et al. Global disparities of hypertension prevalence and control: a systematic analysis of population-based studies from 90 countries. Circulation. 2016;134(6):441-50.

Ulasi II, Ijoma CK, Onwubere BJ, Arodiwe E, Onodugo O, Okafor C. High prevalence and low awareness of hypertension in a market population in Enugu, Nigeria. Int J Hypertens. 2011;2011.

Iloh GU, Ofoedu JN, Njoku PU, Amadi AN, Godswill-Uko EU. Medication adherence and blood pressure control amongst adults with primary hypertension attending a tertiary hospital primary care clinic in Eastern Nigeria. Afr J Prim Health Care Fam Med. 2013;5.

Isezuo S, Sabir A, Ohwovorilole A, Fasanmade O. Prevalence, associated factors and relationship between prehypertension and hypertension: a study of two ethnic African populations in Northern Nigeria. J Hum Hypertens. 2011;25:224-30.

Wu PH, Yang CY, Yao ZL, Lin WZ, Wu LW, Chang CC. Relationship of blood pressure control and hospitalization risk to medication adherence among patients with hypertension in Taiwan. Am J Hypertens. 2010;23:155-60.

Boima V, Ademola AD, Odusola AO, Agyekum F, Nwafor CE, Cole H, Set al. Factors associated with medication nonadherence among hypertensives in Ghana and Nigeria. Int J Hypertens. 2015;2015.

Okwuonu CG, Ojimadu NE, Okaka EI, Akemokwe FM. Patient-related barriers to hypertension control in a Nigerian population. Int J Gen Med. 2014;7:345.

Oliveira-Filho AD, Barreto-Filho JA, Neves SJ, Lyra Junior DP. Association between the 8-item Morisky Medication Adherence Scale (MMAS-8) and blood pressure control. Brazil Arch Cardiol. 2012;99(1):649-58.

Kang CD, Tsang PP, Li WT, Wang HH, Liu KQ, Griffiths SM, Wong MC. Determinants of medication adherence and blood pressure control among hypertensive patients in Hong Kong: a cross-sectional study. Int J Cardiol. 2015;182:250-7.

Kumar PN, Halesh L. Antihypertensive treatment: a study on correlates of non adherence in a tertiary care facility. Int J Biol Med Res. 2010;1:248-52.

Alhaddad IA, Hamoui O, Hammoudeh A, Mallat S. Treatment adherence and quality of life in patients on antihypertensive medications in a Middle Eastern population: adherence. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2016;12:407.

Okoro RN, Ngong CK. Assessment of patient’s antihypertensive medication adherence level in non-comorbid hypertension in a tertiary hospital in Nigeria. Int J Pharm Biomed Sci. 2012;3:47-54.

Suleiman IA, Amogu EO, Ganiyu KA. Prevalence and control of hypertension in a Niger Delta semi urban community, Nigeria. Pharm Pract. 2013;11:24.

Oghagbon E, Okesina A, Biliaminu S. Prevalence of hypertension and associated variables in paid workers In Ilorin, Nigeria. Nigerian J Clin Pract. 2008;11.